NO LBC Armed Airlines

To: trev9@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: NO LBC Armed Airlines
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:57:39 -0500
Roy,

> Sorry, folks, but I stand by my statement.  Inexperience persons
> should not be allowed to carry guns under any circumstances....

I respectfully disagree.  A person might have years of experience in
carrying a weapon, and even been trained in its use, but this is not a
reliable indicator of how that person might behave in any given
situation.

In any event, the numbers militate against your argument:  in the 30 or
so states that issue concealed carry permits, there is no additional
crime attributed to the carry of the weapons, and only statistically
negligible instances of misuse of the weapons (of course, we should also
note that the crime rate in states adopting 'shall issue' statutes has
dropped).  Placing "inexperienced" people -- who are carrying guns under
every other circumstance -- in a plane isn't going to change those
numbers.

> ... but I'm smart enough to realize that a gun in an unqualified
> persons hands is down right dangerous.

See above.  Same can be said for a motor vehicle.  In fact, since we're
much more likely to entrust a motor vehicle to an unqualified person, in
context, the vehicle is even more dangerous.

> You do not think a terrorist if he has mind could not take
> one of those guns away from, let's say a little old lady passenger
> and use her as a hostage along with his other coordinated buddies
> to collect the rest of the guns on board?

One could not expect any less reprehensible behavior (although one would
wonder why it was necessary for the hijacker to take someone else's gun
if it he was allowed to bring his own on board).

>  Would you shoot the hostage to get the hijacker?

Hard times call for hard decisions.  If I found it necessary, I would.

> Ask one of the pilots on this list how he feels about a plane load
> of inexperienced gun toting passengers sitting behind his cockpit.

Ask him if he'd rather have the possibility of survival as compared to
certain death.

> Why do you thing the military and police force goes to so much
> trouble to train their people how to use these things?

To restate:  a person might have years of experience in carrying a
weapon, and even been trained in its use, but this is not a reliable
indicator of how that person might behave in any given situation.

Rich -- Council Bluffs, Iowa (former Training NCO, US Army)
'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"
'86 Ford Crown Victoria LTD "BarcaLounger on Wheels"
richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!