Tach/coil/ignition???

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tach/coil/ignition???
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:46:00 -0400
Symptoms - Tach jumps very erratic between about 2800 and 3800 (always).
Smooth below 2500 and above 4000.  Engine to misses during acceleration in
that same range. Engine miss is more when acceleration, however even under
steady load it still ocassionally misses.  Now the Dizzy.  PO had a CEI type
dizzy installed without the Vac advance hooked up. Local British Master
Mechanic replaced CEI with a 45DE4 EID type dizzy - still Vac Advance not
hooked up.  Opus numbers (41695A) for CEI unit do not match a Midget. (I
read the EID units have severe problems with the internal amplifier)

Are these items all related?  Is there different indications? I think the
tach may be messed up because it is so erratic (full needle swings, etc.).
The severe movement doesn't seem to be timed with the the engine misfires.
Could the tach swings be caused by a faulty coil?

I eventually want to install a Pentronix IgnitorII, And from what I have
been able to find out, Pentronix IgnitorII units must be ordered for the
specific dizzy.