Re: Webley/non LBC x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Webley/non LBC x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:13:39 -0400
"Hell 99.9% of the list don't know ".....

Moi,

the Webley is a British 455 calibre self loading
semi-automatic pistol during WWI by the Royal
Marines, Royal Flying Corps and Australians and also,
Scotland Yard.  It is famously known in Britain for its
use during the events of Antwerp and Gallipoli.

The Webley came into being at about the same time as its
American counterpart, the M911 45 cal semi-automatic.
I've never fired the Webley or ever held one but I was trained
with the M911 in the service.  I gather that the two may be
similar. The M911 was the standard handgun of the Marine
Corps right on thru WWII and Korea.  Although many swore
by it I personally didn't like it
.
During my three year tour for a short while I did duty
as an MP and carried that weapon.  We were instructed not
to carry it with a round in the chamber as it had been
known numerous times to discharge unintentionally.
For that reason I always felt somewhat distrustful of it.

Toward the end of WW II,the best I can remember; the Army
replaced the M911 with it's 30-30 calibre carbine, presently
it's full description escapes me. It has of course been a popular
collectable just as the two famous sidearms.

Roy Rogers
60 Bugeye
85 RX7