Re: Taps, dies, bolts and screws

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Taps, dies, bolts and screws
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:52:10 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
"Michel R. Gagne" wrote:

> I m looking for advice on which type of bolts and screws I have on my > car.

Mike

Almost all nuts and bolts on any Spridget are British fine, which is the same
as US fine. the pitch is a tad off but not an issue when chasing threads on
the body.
1/4 x 28 works for most of the nuts and bolts where a 7/16" wrench is used.
5/16 x 24 where ever you use a 1/2" wrench
3/8 x 24 where ever you use a 9/16 wrench.

These 3 taps (1/4x28) (5/16x24) & (3/8 x 24) will do 95% of the car.
No metric hardware was ever used on these cars although a 12mm wrench works
better than a 7/16 on the oil gauge pipe/block fitting.

The fuel system is british pipe so do NOT use standard taps on the carbs or
fuel tank fittings.
The oil and water systems are (for the most part) regular US pipe threads
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ