Re: Modern car names, no LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Modern car names, no LBC
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:43:48 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/01 2:17:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nosimport@mailbag.com writes:

> Didn't Studebaker also have the President and the Commander?
> Ah, the Commander.... "Sports car flair, with value to spare"
>          Peter C

This reminds me of discussions about "place" names of cars and how inaccurate
they tended to be.  Dodge Aspen.  Pontiac Bonneville.  Dodge Monaco.
Chrysler Fifth Avenue.  Lincoln Versailles/Ford Granada.  Pontiac Phoenix
(although named after the mythical bird, not the place).  Actually, given the
bird's propensity to rise from the ashes, the car probably should have been
called the anti-Phoenix, as it could hardly turn to ashes quickly enough.
And it's sister ship, the Chevy Citation -- who wants a car named after a
traffic ticket?

Let's face it, some car names just fit better than others.  No one complains
about "Electra" or "LeSabre" or "Chevelle" or "Camaro" not having meaning, do
they?  And a corvette is a "lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer."
 Kinda fits.  I once had a Volkswagen Scirocco -- a warm Mediterranean wind
sort of car...

Maybe we should allow truth in advertising to rule in car names.  The Honda
Boring (comes in three sizes!).  The Acura Boring with Some Luxury.  The
Chevy POS (pick a model!).  The Chrysler Stylin' but Crappy.  The Ford Clumsy.

Let's see, anyone I didn't offend?

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A