Heavy Paint (WAS Re: Some Bugeye Photos and Paint reply.)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heavy Paint (WAS Re: Some Bugeye Photos and Paint reply.)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:31:54 -0400
I just saw a show on the History channel last night. Mercedes stripped the
paint off it's 1934 (might have been 35?) Grand Prix entry because it was
over the weight limit. It saved 2 kilograms and got them under the limit.
The resultant bare aluminum body gave it and it's rival Auto Union (later
known as Audi) entry, which had never painted its car in the first place,
the nickname "Silver Arrows".

BTW - a 3.4 liter V12 putting out 380BHP in a small package in the mid '30s
must have been terrifying?!! (think bias ply tires, no seat belts or roll
cages, leather "helmets" etc. Those guys were NUTS!)

<dnw>
1972 Midget
1998 Safari
1999 9-3