Non-Existant Oil Pressure Problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Non-Existant Oil Pressure Problem
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:00:30 -0700
The problem I have been having with my oil pressure is just me chasing
my tail again.  I took my car over to my Healey rebuilder friends house
today to hook it up to a CALIBRATED oil pressure gauge.  I wanted to
know if the combo gauge in my car was reading correct.  It wasn't.  When
my gauge reads 42 psi it is actually 60 psi.  At idle my gauge reading
of 12 psi is 20 psi.  I did not suspect the gauge before because this
combination gauge was rebuilt because of a broken water temp capillary
tube.  I guess the guy just attended to the water temp half of the gauge
and left the oil pressure side alone.  I'm going to send it back to him
for rebuilding of the oil pressure part, if it can be repaired.
Otherwise I will be looking for a replacement gauge for my Bugeye.  A
lot cheaper than rebuilding the engine because I thought it had low oil
pressure.  Anyone got a correct gauge that reads correct to sell?
     While I was over there we looked for a new gauge he thought he had
and could not find one for a Bugeye.  What we did find was a LUCAS amp
gauge the same size as the combo gauge and he gave it to me.  I'd like
to mount this below the dash in a mounting bracket like my supercharger
boost gauge.  Does anyone know how to wire the two connections?
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite
P.S. The sliding sleeve thermostat that I installed only helps
marginally.  The temp here is SoCal is in the 90s today and the water
temp went to 212F after 15-20 minutes of driving on the freeway today.
We checked the timing today with a timing light and it was right on.  I
have a 3 row radiator.  I give up.