Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem EDT

To: Ankitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem EDT
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:52:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, Annice, I believe you, '60's octane
notwithstanding, 'cause I never had a problem with my original 948 but
then again, I was fastidious about using 100+RON fuels of the period
(cheap insurance against my then, "Top Gun" driving style), summer
thermostadts
or "blanking sleeve" and drained coolant/
cleaned system twice a year, ran slightly
"cooler" plugs in summer, timing was always "spot on", etc.

Others not so fastidious did have higher
temperatures at high speed cruise, than
I had but not near as high as Mike's 212
or so.

Now, what do you figure Mike MacLean's
problem is then?

Temp. gauge out of calibration?
Radiator not properly done?
Too hot a thermostadt?
Incorrect timing at high cruise rpm?
      (function of too low octane?)
Too lean a mixture "        "        "   ?
     (mechanical fuel pump not up to snuff?)
Block not completely or properly boiled
   out during overhaul leaving "scale in
   water passages?
Bad water pump?

Temp. gauge out of calibration (or "tube"
shorting out on something electrical or
laying on something hot) notwistanding,
I am really trying to help Mike out, here.

As the engine sometimes cuts out during
hard cornering, quits at idle when it's hot,
etc. along with a tendency to overheat
in high speed cruise, I am beginning to
think a combination of high engine compartment heat along with a weak
mechanical pump (vapor lock?)and too low a fuel level in bowl are
combining
to give him all these symtoms.

G. Folchi has offered to accept the return
of the blower and refund Mike's money
if he couldn't get the blower to work, when
Mike originally purchased the blower.

Just spoke to George on this particular
case today, and he is very upset over this
as well. Stands by his original word to Mike upon purchase.

Not having the good old leaded octanes
available (100%) definitely makes the running of Judson's more of a
challenge
today then yesterday. Mike has the low
compression (8.3-1) engine to boot, so
overheating should be less of a problem