Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem EDT

To: Ankitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem EDT
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:39:31 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Annice-

I completely understand your point, Annice, totally. I never had
overheating
problems with my original 948 at highway
cruise, either, but I know others who did
back in the early 60's; I know I was fastidious with my car, maybe
others were not? I don't know!

I had previously thought that
stock Sprites with their 4.22 rears and
and smoothcase gearing were designed
more as rounabouts on secondary roads
to begin with. Later engines got a bit
larger and the gearing both in gearbox
and diff. changed accordingly right along
with the American highway system and
the changing habits of American drivers,
accordingly, it seems, making the vehicle
more "suitable" for same. And of course,
"tropical" fans and "crossflow" system, etc.

Your's is the first actual case I have ever
heard of (close and personal), of a low
pressure supercharged 948 that did not
experience overheating problems under
circumstances of high rpm sustained
highway driving in outside air temps. over
70F. I say high rpm meaning 4,000 or so
required for 60-65. Sustained means
30-45 minutes. Did Bob run the stock timing (also recommended by Judson
-
statically 5 degrees BTDC) or was he
smart enough to avoid the blown head
gaskets and holed pistons experienced
by others who did (over time) by intelligently retarding a couple of
degrees
considering the "new" dynamic compression ratio, excellent octanes
readily available "back then", notwithstanding? Well, we definitely have
to wait until Bob is available for further
answers.  At this point I am for sure dying
to "talk" with him!

The Abarths were great, weren't they,
Annice! Fantastic sound and it was, I
believe, Kent Miller who bought the exhaust system up as the possible
"usual
suspect" in Mike's "overheating at speed"
situation. Which is one of the reasons I
sold my spare OEM 948 Abarth to Mike to
begin with, realizing it's usefullness in this
respect in his Judson application. I agree
with you on this, Annice (and Kent) for sure. There is a great deal more
heat and
mass flow with the blower and the stock
system simply was designed for the stock
motor; not a "tuned" or "blown" motor.

The chrome tubes on the Abarth designed
for the 948 Sprite were relatively tiny as Mike can attest to but the
muffler got the
job done as attested to by road tests, size
of exit tubes notwithstanding.

I know of no Abarths made for the 1098/1275 capacities, though I am
familiar with the Stebro and Monza
(Abarth wannabe's?) that were; these
systems had much larger chrome exit
tubes. I think Frank Clarici has a Monza
on PIECES (Pepboy single on his personal Frog, as I recall?) and it has
got exit pipes as large as soupcans for
sure! Looks cool but having had a Monza
originally on my 1275 '67 Spridget (not
"squarebody, JF!), I can tell you it doesn't
match the "raspy" Abarth sound (at rpm)
at all. It is much quieter all around with
a much mellower though still "rorty" sound. I loved the sound of the
Abarth so
much, I actually grafted one onto the larger diameter tubing of my stock
'67
1275 in place of the Monza. By comparison, the Abarth was a real
screamer; sounded absolutely late 50's
early 60's great and the car was still as
quick as a stock 1275! The Abarth was
definitely "free flow" for sure! But the cops
kept stopping me for the sound, as opposed to never stopping me for the
Monza the Abarth replaced! Big difference
between the two in terms of exhaust "note", as in "huge"!

Well, this has been fun! Back to Mike's
problem! I'd really like to talk to Bob, Annice, whenever he gets back.
See what
timing, plugs and octane he used, etc.

In consideration of Mike's recent replies
to our various mails on his overheating
problem, I am beginning to think I may
have underestimated the drag of his
five ring pistons and this, along with a stock exhaust system rather
than a free
flow type may be the answers?

Bet Bob has an "educated" opinion on this!

And yes, Annice, he can use the Judson on the 1275! BTDT (and doing it
again with new Rivergate 1293 "tailored" for
low pressure supecharging) and
George will make up "improved" Delrin
vanes for same, if requested! 4psi with
"standard" blower/crank pulley set-up.
It is great with the 5-speed (got one)
diff. ratio notwitstanding. I'm using a
3.7 for highway cruise considerations.

And you have a "Supercharged" emblem?
(I hate you, I hate you!! :) I'm hoping Mike
will sell me his if he ever decides to go
the 1380 route! Have fun, Annice!

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)