Re: going racing.....AGAIN?

To: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>, "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, "Bill Hunt" <BillH@aaai.com>, "Geoff Branch" <gjbranch@mediaone.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: going racing.....AGAIN?
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 11:04:45 -0700
Most of the rotaries were "monosupape" (one-valve) motors.  The inlet was a
bypass port from the crankcase (were the gas-oil vapor mixture lived (think
of two-stroke model airplane engines), and the exhaust was in the top of
the (non-detachable) head and was "operated" by atmospheric pressure.  When
the piston was going down relative to the cylinder, it "sucked" the exhaust
valve open.

Note that W. O. Bentley considered his crowning achievement to have been
the design of the BR2 (Bentley Rotary type 2) used in the Sopwith Camel.

Clay L.
;67 Sprite

  At 03:10 PM 10/6/01 -0400, Michael Lupynec wrote:
>Non-rotating crank has severe rpm limitations (but what a way to
>reduce valve float) and huge gyroscopic effect causing interesting
>spin non-recovery characteristics. My failing memory says they did
>not survive WW1.
>
>Mike L
>60A,67E,59Bug

DISCLAIMER: JPL now requires notice in all electronic communication that
all personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do
not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL.