Re: Backup Lights with Datsun Tranny?

To: chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Backup Lights with Datsun Tranny?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:32:47 -0700
Chuck, (or is it chuck?...'-)

I can say I am an expert on this one. I think most people just plug the
hole where the reverse switch is located, but I opted for installing the
switch.

Because the switch must protrude very slightly through the tranny tunnel
(passenger side), I drilled the hole installed the switch AFTER the trans
was installed. I also left the plug installed while I did the tranny
install to better reference the center point. It is easily removed from
under the car. (YMMV) That way I could keep the hole size accurate and to a
minimum. In order to do this, you will need to make accurate measurements
from at least 2 reference point on the tranny to the center of the hole
where the reverse switch is located. I made a vertical measurement from the
rear mount and a horizontal measurement from somewhere near the shifter. I
used a compass to trnasfer points to the tranny tunnel from inside the car.
Some visual estimation is required also. Once you think you have the center
located correctly, drill a very small pilot hole to check whether your
calulations were acurate. If the are, continue with a hole saw that will
accomodate an appropriate sized thin wall deep socket so you will be able
to tighten the switch into the transmission. You'll probably need to
unsolder the two wires on he switch. Mine were falling off anyway and I had
planned to attach them better anyway.

If your car is already equipped with backup lights, you'll need to use the
old short harness to connect the two wires from the switch or make up a
short harness from the switch to the main harness. I ran the wires under
the carpet and up througn the firewall. You may be able to fit a large
grommet to fill the gap between the switch through the tunnel, otherwise
use some silicone if you are concerned about the opening.

Let me know if you have questions.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -