Re: How Much Compression

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How Much Compression
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:56:23 -0500
Well there is a direct relationship between the two. As (I believe it was
Ron, a little hard to tell in this message) says, the heat gained by
compression does add a factor which may be difficult to determine. If you
had a perfect seal and turned the engine slow enough so as not to gain heat
by the compression you would see a compression pressure of CR x ATMospheric
pressure.

However, it still is explained mathematically. Search for a reference on
Charles Law which states:
        P1 x V1    P2 x V2
       _______ = ________
          T1               T2

So if you know the compression Ratio and the temperature of the compressed
air you can figure out what the compression pressure will is. Likewise if
you can acurately measure the pressure you can figure out the theoretical
temperature. If you come up with a temperature above 495 degrees you will
have a Diesel motor running on Gasoline.

I'm guessing that the 17 frogeye used in the example includes sea level
presuure of 14.7 PSI plus a generic fudge factor (or maybe it's a real
constant for 11.5:1, I don't know) to account for the increase in
temperature.

All in all, I think it's pretty amazing that an ICE even runs at all.

<dnw>
1972 Midget
1998 Safari
1999 9-3