It's got me stumped

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: It's got me stumped
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:13:29 -0500
Here's a problem for the collective experience of the list.

For two weekends in a row my bugeye has run perfect going somewhere but on the
return trip, after sitting for 6 hours, runs ragged below 3500 rpm.  It seems
like as soon as you give it gas and put a load on it, it will miss badly, 2
cyls, 3cyls, 4 then 2 again etc. until you get it above 3500rpm and then it
settles down and runs on all 4 again. Cruising (above 3500) it purrs!

I began with the points. They looked okay and were within a thou of being
correct, but I replaced them and the condensor.  Checked timing, okay. Checked
the valves and clearences, some on the loose side none tight, corrected them.
Carbs, plugs looked a little to white so I richened each a flat. Checked
linkage, checked for oil in the pots, okay. Checked to make sure the pistons
were free and eye balled the needles, okay. Pulled the float tops and checked
for anything amiss, floats okay, no sediment, float needle valve, free and
unclogged.  Checked fuel pump (mechanical) and filter everything okay.

What could be causing it to do this?  As I said twice going somewhere it ran
like a top but after sitting 5-6 hours runs like cr*p?  Today I went out and
took it out for a run and it ran perfectly!  Sunday night on my way home it
was acting like I wasn't going to make it home (lot of start and stop driving)
and I didn't do anything to it!  Sunday I thought whatever was wrong I had
fixed it till I started home.

I'm at my wits end. Help.

Thanks,
Biff Jones