Ball Joint Boot Replace?

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ball Joint Boot Replace?
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:39:57 -0500
Hey Guyz,

While filling the front shocks I nothiced that the boots
over the ball joints on the tie rod ends are looking like
they really wanna be replaced. Before I destroy the
front end, what are the acceptable practices for
disassembling that joint? Seems like if I loosen the
nyloc nut on the ball joint, and tap the end of the
ball joint bolt down, it should release enough to
let me replace the boot. But .... it won't budge.
Besides "use a bigger hammer" technology, what
advice can you offer.

thanks,

chuckC