RE: Yet Another Virus- reply (no LBC)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Yet Another Virus- reply (no LBC)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:26:15 -0800
Mike,

We have well over 500 computers at work, mostly PCs (Dell, Tangent, Tandy,
Compaq, Toshiba), but some Macs too (about 100), and all connected to a
network (LAN/WAN).... I can tell you that Macs are not immune to attacks
either- but the problem is not the platform as much as the program. As
Microsoft Outlook is by far the most used e-mail program worldwide, it is
constantly under attack by hackers. In industry, where Microsoft products
and Windows/NT systems are prevalent, servers using the NT (Windows 2000)
software are also under attack... I have also seen hackers get into Unix
systems.

Various ways to protect your computer from viruses, worms and trojan horses
have been posted on this list. If you need more help, please e-mail me off
list.

At my place of work, we use either the Norton or McAfee anti-virus programs.
We have encountered compatibility problems when loading both on the same
machine- so just use one! Which one to use seems more a question of personal
preference than effectiveness. You should also get online updates from the
antivirus maker regularly- they will have free downloads on their sites, at
least for some time after you buy your license. When a new virus is
unleashed and people panick, I always seem to be able to get a free online
download for it... I also frequently use the "Windows Update" on my
computer, as the MS site has "critical updates" including security "patches"
all the time- free.

Jacques Le Clainche, who uses Dell, Tangent, Tandy, Compaq, and Apple
computers at work! The Mac users think I am weird, as I prefer using the
windows machines!