Re: Looking at a MGB project 21:27:37 -0500

To: twobees@sprynet.com (n)
Subject: Re: Looking at a MGB project 21:27:37 -0500
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:37:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridgets Digest)
<<<<I do not tip toe down the road!>>>>

Norm-

I agree with almost everything you have
to say regarding used LCB's (notice I do
not say MG "B"'s) especially when it comes to rust. Of course there is
surface
rust and then there is the real "structural"
stuff which I believe you are talking about
and here I agree with you completely.

About the front ends though, driving style
along with the "right" attitude on preventative maintenance can save you
a bundle in avoiding bad experiences.

In the more than 100K miles I put on my
'64 B ('67 engine equipped), I never replaced more than shocks and tie
rod ends while the vehicle had no trouble
"holding" an alignment. I had during this
time no tire "wear problems" either.

The car was lubed religiously (as is my
current Frogeye daily driver) at least every
3,000 miles. And while I do not tip toe
either, I slow down for rough roads and
drive around potholes or rough pavement;
I DO concentrate on the road; ALL aspects of it inclusive of
"irregularities"
in surface (along with watchin' the "other
guys" out there!).

Treated my '72 B the same way and had
same good experiences with suspension
for 50K until vehicle "totaled" in accident
(guy went through a stopsign on  a blind
corner at night; broadsided him! Walked
away: always wear your seatbelt!!).

The '64 was not raced though it was autocrossed on good pavement about
10-15 weekends a year. The '72 was
strictly a street driver.

CT. & NY roads are neither the best or worst. They are pretty average;
some good, some not so good. On the not so
good ones, I slowed down to conserve the
mechanicals.

10 years or so ago, I drove a Vizard tuned
11.0-1 1380 Midget as a daily driver
commuting also between my home in Stamford and NY's LaGuardia airport
where I was domiciled at the time. 45
DCOE, VP3 cam - the works! (Fun!)

This car was a "screamer" with rock hard
track suspension, KYB gas shocks, lowered slightly more than an inch all
around, 3/4 front bar, 5/8 rear bar, Yoko
008R60 series on 5.5" Westerns with 1/4"
"spacers" on all 4 wheels. This thing could
"handle" both ways; grip and turn-in. It
was absolutely scary how fast this thing
could take a 90 degree change of direction with absolutely no sweat. I
could
change direction at speeds up to 90 (never had it faster than that) with
extreme rapidity with no control problems
at all (on dry pavement, that is!).

The entire front end was rebuilt before I
transformed this '74 as above.

I cracked one "A frame" in 80+K miles. Failed to see and avoid a "bump"
in the
road; went airborne there for a moment!
('course I'm used to that but the car took
a beating!)

Other than that, replaced only tie rod ends
two or three times and front KYB's
once at 60K. Here again, lubed vehicle religiously at least every 3,000
miles and slowed down for really rough
pavement and avoided road "irregularities"
to the extent possible (drove around them
when they could be seen and yeah, I looked for them to avoid them!)

As to outside undercar rust. Undercoated
these cars and had them "steamed" every
spring. Floors, etc. were always POR 15
treated. Current Frog is not driven in sleet, snow or salty conditions,
but still gets "steamed" every Spring 'cause I do
drive it on nice winter days and there is
always "residual salt" around, "dry" though
it may be!

In closing, I truly never had the suspension problems these cars seem
to be so infamous for. It just has never
happened to me in 2 Frogeys, 2 Spridgets, 2 MGA's and 2 MGB's and
I moved right along in my younger days;
I guess "brisk" would be the right word.

Today, I am more like the older bull in
the "herd of cows" joke. The younger bull wants to run down the hill,
the older one
suggests they walk down the hill and-----
I'll not go any further out of respect for the
ladies though I personally feel the rest
is rather complimentary to the fair sex!!

But about the rust; yeah, you gotta be
careful and cautious and about the fun of
driving a B - couldn't agree more! C'ya!

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)