Re: Help!

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: Help!
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:40:28 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Steve Byers wrote:

> Do I have an oil pump that puts out MORE pressure when it fails?

Steve

My best guess would be to check and clean the oil pressure relief valve.
It sounds like it's sticking and building up too much pressure before it
releases.

Take a 15/16 or 1" wrench, remove the bolt on the right side of the block next
the oil pipe line. Inside there is a spring and a bullet shaped cup, check the
cup
for score marks or grit.
Your recent oil change may have loosened up something that is now stuck in the
relief valve.

The other possibility is your timing is too far advanced, when pulling a slight
grade, the engine spits out oil. Well at least that's what happened to me on an
interstate last Spring. oil, smoke, lack of power and coolant out of the head,
all
because the timing was a bit too advanced. Mine did not effect my oil pressure
though.

Also, are you sure you have the correct oil filter? Many will fit but the wrong
one will make for weird oil pressure.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ