economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:11:31 -0600
I haven't time to make the case right now, but this sort of legislation,
beyond affecting our hobby and businesses, also smacks of socio-economic
engineering. There is a need, if we allow that cars are a necessity at all,
for cheap cars, call them "beaters", which are precisely the target of this
bill. Not everyone can afford a new or second-hand car that needs one.
While I applaud the aftermarket (parts) industry for taking a stand on
this, I see the larger picture beyond my business. I am less concerned by
the owner of a $500 82 Chevy polluting the air than the owner of a
$50,000  FUV who can _afford_ to make INTELLIGENT choices. It's not about
rights, it's about obligations.
         Gotta run.
         Peter C
Buy me a beer, and I'll tell you my story.
========