Re: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT--response

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT--response
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:36:55 -0800
Cc: ptegler@gouldfo.com, ptegler@cablespeed.com, davriker@pacbell.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
One thing that might not be readily apparent in this bill is the possibility of
selling the pollution credits that become available when an old car is scrapped,
read that likely crushed, to polluting industries that are having problems
meeting current pollution reductions, or are unwilling to spend the money to do
so.  An example is the oil industry.  Under present laws, they can purchase
pollution credits from companies that have met or exceeded their reductions.  A
alternate source of these pollution credits is from old cars being taken off the
road.

Sometimes a grab for pollution credits by powerful industries with enormous
clout

of lobbyists, read that money, in Washington, or State capitals, takes on
interesting forms.

Paul A