RE: more detonation? PLEASE HELP Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:00:29 +0100

To: a.herrmann@bellherrmann.nl (Arnold Herrmann)
Subject: RE: more detonation? PLEASE HELP Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:00:29 +0100
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 04:53:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc: a.herrmann@bellherrmann.nl (Arnold Herrmann), judson@autox.team.net, tirrania@msn.com, gbfolchi@yahoo.com, derfman@eatel.net, dhedin@vsi.net, MGCARNUT@aol.com, wcelliot@concentric.net, randallyoung@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, midget@yahoogroups.com
Ahhhh!

You think the vanes coming apart caused
the damage, Arnold? Well, considering
"velocity", I guess that might very well be
the case!! Whew! Better than piston tops
running interference with the head, for sure!!

Your question on vanes can, of course, only be answered by "the man"
(George Folch) as he's the qualified
machinist in these matters. Seems to me this would be a good opportunity
to upgrade to "Delrin" vanes. Dean has already done this, I believe, and
I've got
them in mine though haven't used mine
yet; still waiting for mechanic to slow down over winter so he can
install my
new engine for break-in on the carbs.!

You are running an air filter in your
outside air induction system, right?
So how would something "solid" get
sucked through the carb.?

Also, you can see why upgrading to a
2 stroke synthetic for lubrication might be
a good idea. Nothing wrong with Marvel
but it cannot match the "flowabilty" of a
synthetic (especially in cold climate) and
probably cannot provide the "film strength"
of a synthetic, either, considering you are also "overdriving" the
blower to get 6psi
boost to the larger capacity engine, thus "loading" vanes accordingly
(see Dean's previous posts on this).

Compression figures are down, anyway, Arnold. Might as well pull the
head
and see what other damage has been done in there, whether plugs
"hammered" for cyls. 3 & 4, or not. You
gotta inspect 1 & 2 anyway, after all, right? And, exhaust valve
"resealing"
has got to be done according to previous
"leak down" test anyway, right? That's
probably where the compression is going.

What do you think?

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)