Re: LBC economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT

To: jboatri@emory.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:06:05 EST
In a message dated 1/2/02 9:56:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, jboatri@emory.edu
writes:

> I wonder what would happen if more people had 50 mpg Minis,
> spridgets, or Moggies as at least their second cars? Would it lower
> our dependence on oil (regardless of source)? Would it lower
> pollution? Would there be less road rage 'cause everyone would be
> grinning so much?
>
> Nah, it'd never work. The technology is just not there...
>
> ...now that we've crushed it...

LOL--I think you are on to something Jeff.

It's funny--a while back I sent an e-mail to our Senators recommending they
support an idea I heard about from some college think-tank to eventually cut
into our dependence on foreign oil.  The suggestion included support for
development of the electric vehicle, which we certainly could do, and
developing a rail/transportation system to effectively cut short
airliner/commuter flights and into automobile dependence.  The ideas sounded
plausible to me.

One of them never responded, and the one who did thanked me profusely for
agreeing with President Bush's energy policy.  Hell, I wasn't agreeing with
Bush's energy policy--I think I was opposing it. Actually I didn't have his
policy in mind at all.

Politicians!!!  Ugh!!

--David C.

--David C.