Re: Belt drive timing gears

To: "Gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Belt drive timing gears
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:55:58 -0500
gerard,

it appears as the crank pulley is designed to be the "guide " for forward
motion and the cam pulley is designed for the guide for rearward movement.
has the belt stretched already allowing it to walk around freely?  upon
assembly how close is the cover to the cam pulley?  i'm curious as to how
far the belt must walk out on the pulley in order to make contact with the
cover.   another curiosity would be is there any runout on the cam pulley
wich may be initiating the belt's walking out ?
on our morgan 4+4 1500cc we use a similar set up to drive the water pump off
the crank.   no idler pulley to tension the set up .  the crank pulley has a
"guide" or lip on both sides of the pulley.   the water pump pulley has no
"guides " or lips front or rear.   it has never thrown a belt.  and as long
as the 2 pulleys are paralell to each other there would be no tendancies to
try to walk the belt in or out.    if the pulleys are not paralell to each
other the belt would try to walk without an edge on the pulley to guide the
belt.

chuck.