Re: Rust Control Recommendations

To: thistle_3619@yahoo.com, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust Control Recommendations
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:48:42 EST
In a message dated 1/13/02 3:39:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thistle_3619@yahoo.com writes:

> My plans are to take a wire wheel
> and clean up as much as I can of the surface rust. My
> main questions is what product to use to get into
> those nooks and crannies where the wire wheel won't
> go. Naval Jelly needs to be flushed with water and I
> really dont want water all over the garage. I
> knowthere are products

You can get other shapes of wire brush to fit your drill other than a wheel.
Also have on hand a couple of shapes of manual wire brushes.  If you go to a
paint store, I think Dutch Boy stores have it,  there is a product named
Phos-Phor that is phosphoric-based and is designed to neutralize rust and
form a black coating over it.    After this neutralization, a rinse and dry
(Very dry), I like to spray the whole thing with rubberized undercoating
prior to painting it.  This not only seals it well, but helps with
soundproofing a bit.   A mechanic friend of mine who has disassembled
probably hundreds of these cars claims that those that have undercoating on
the floors have significantly fewer floorboard rust problems on the inside.
He is also looking at using that spray-in truckbed liner and seems to think
that might be  even better.

--David C.