Slave Sizes

To: guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk, Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slave Sizes
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 07:53:15 -0800 (PST)
I just went through this with Bugsy, my '68 Sprite
with a '66 1098 Engine. The 1" is the correct slave
for the 1275. The one with the angle is likely a 3/4"
Bore off of a 1098 tranny. Since Bugsy has a 1098
Engine with a 1275 Trany I discovered that a 1275
Slave, the 1" bore diameter, doesn't work with the
1098 engine unless you notch the side of the
bellhousing. There is a flange on the side that I was
able to grind away in about 10 minutes time with a die
grinder attached to my air compressor. You simply need
enough clearance, about 3/4" notch, so that the hose
fitting can clear. It was a simple fix once I did a
lot of cogitating on the subject.

In your case, if you have a 1275 engine with an
original 1275 type tranny you shouldn't have any
problems. If you're like me and have a case of mix and
match parts, you may have to do a little bit of
creative engineering to make it fit. Good luck in
getting this car going. Bleeding the clutch will prove
to be challenging. Getting a vacumn powered bleeder
will help. I needed to put suction on the clutch line
to get fluid pumped up and over and air out of the
line.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/