Brake Union

To: fergie9@attglobal.net, Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Union
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:07:28 -0800 (PST)
Fergie,

I wouldn't trust the VB or MOSS Catalog for diagram
accuracy. Based upon the MOSS Book I connected up my
new clutch and accelerator cables backwards. Accel to
choke and vice versa. Spent a month cogitating on why
engine would not run >2000 rpm and why it ran well at
first and then started missing upon full throttle
depression. Duh!!!

I had union apart trying to track down why no rear
brake pressure on Bugsy. The union does have a sliding
valve that moves one way or the other in the event of
a loss of either front or rear brake pressure. When
the valve slides, it triggers the brake warning light.
Take the sliding valve apart, lubricate with brake
caliper piston grease and reinsert back into union. If
you are having problems with no rear brake pressure
its likely a collapsed rear brake hose. That's what
was wrong with Bugsy I discovered after replacing the
Master Cylinder and finding out that rear brakes still
did not work. As one guy who races Sprites told me 90%
of braking is done with front brakes on a Spridget.
Many Spridget drivers go through life braking on front
wheels only not knowing that rears aren't working due
to collapsed hose back there. Hope you sort this one out.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/