RE: Tires

To: "'Mueller, Robert CDR'" <RMueller@grumobile.uscg.mil>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tires
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:57:23 -0800
Hi Bob,

I'm not sure about the later Midgets, but the early (pre=1970) cars came
with 145/80 R 13 tires on them from the factory.  Real narrow tread and
high sidewall.  On my car, a '69 Sprite, I went to Michelin MX4 165/70
R13s and have been very happy with them.  The rule of thumb I heard, in
order to keep speedo ratios in line, is for every 20 you go up or down
in tread width, go up or down 10 in the sidewall ratio (ie 145/80 is
related to a 165/70).  It's not precise, but it does keep the speedo
within 2-4% of what it should read.

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA