Re: Garage planning

To: Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage planning
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:59:47 EST
In a message dated 1/25/02 8:39:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com writes:

> Things I have learned in my garage and workshop
> 1    the more light the better, in a two car garage /workshop four to six
> 4foot
> 2 bulb flourescent fixtures w/ 40 watt bulbs is about right
>      a couple of portable worklights are nice to have too
> 2    you can't have too much counter space and big is better than small
> 3    you need 2 or 3 types of countertop.  Steel or stainless steel for
> metal
> working,  wood or masonite for wood projects and because sometimes you just
> have to screw something to the bench temporarily,  high pressure laminate
> for
> general tasks and easy cleanup
> 4    you can't have too many cabinets.  I like them more than shelves
> because
> when you close the doors the place looks neat and tidy
>
> In my garage there are (4) 6 foot tall, 3 foot wide double door storage
> cabinets, (4) 2 foot wide base cabinets w/ 30"  high pressure laminate
> countertop (2 have double doors and shelves, the other two are 3 drawer
> units),
> (4) 2 foot wide 2 foot high wall double door cabinets, one 3 foot square
> corner
> unit (it has one corner knocked off at a 45 for an 18 inch wide door) and
> one 6
> foot tall, 2foot wide single door storage cabinet.
>
> All of the cabinets and countertop cost less than a grand at Lowe's.  I
> could
> have stick built them for less money, but a lot more time
>
> all of these form a nice L shape along the back wall w/ room for the
> compressor
> and shop vac at one end

- - - - - - - - - -

All good ideas, thanks.  I like the idea of doors on the storage, not just
for looks, but to keep the insides cleaner.

The cabinets from Lowes, what are they made of?  I would shy away from the
particle board stuff they sell.  A little dampness (and we have a lot of
dampness around here) and they warp pretty badly.  I have never liked the
plastic Rubbermaid shi...er...stuff.  The doors only work once or twice, and
they have to be too thick to be structurally stable.

Is there any chance you could shoot some pics, scan them and e-mail them to
me?  They can't be sent to the list because it strips attachments.

Thanks again,

Allen Hefner
"send chuck to sebring" fund coordinator (another Saab story!)
Send donations via PayPal to my e-mail address - ajhsys@aol.com
Checks should be made out to: Charles F. Christ Sr.
Snail mail to me at:
PO Box 286
Abington  PA  19001-0286