Heater Fan Switch and other Lucas quality products.

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Fan Switch and other Lucas quality products.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:47:17 -0800 (PST)
I discovered today that Bugsy my '68 Sprite has indeed
inherited some of those famous Lucas electronic
devices. I finally got some of the radio console
wiring issues resolved so I plugged in the fuses to
power up the dash. I now have issues with several
things not working and need some help and advice from
the list.

1) Heater switch is bad. Simple or should be to get
out and replace but for the life of me I can't figure
out the spring clip arrangement that holds this
bastard in place. Tough enough to get under the dash
even with the seats out I'm plauged by my ever growing
need for bifocals. Can't get far enough away to see
the bastard and with glasses off I'm too close to
really work on it. Mid life crisis, Spridgets and
bifocals. So any advice on how to get this switch out.
There must be some sort of secret trick.

2) Horn not working - I replaced the horn with one I
know works. Any advice on how the spring contact works
or is supposed to go back together on the horn button.
What to look for etc.

3) Temp gauge is not working. I knew that already. I
need to order a new one and I'll ask any advice on
taking the dash apart to get at the combo gauge.
Trying just to get at it is virtually impossible from
underneath. Is it easier to just unbolt the dash or
does that present even bigger problems getting it
reassembled.

4) Tach does work but definitely wildly inaccurate.
Any advice on how to get tach working a little closer
to actual revs that the engine is turning.

5) Gas gauge does not appear to be working. I have no
clue how much gas is in the tank but I know I put at
least a gallon in there when I first started Bugsy and
gauge does not move when ignition switch is on. Maybe
its really low on gas but I'm guessing those infamous
Lucas parts and pieces once again.

Interior work continues to progress and half of the
carpet is in. Hopefully by Sunday seats wil be back in
car and Bugsy will be able to go for his first ride to
at least get gas in the tank.

Thanks in advance for your help.