Re: Truing Wire Wheels

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Truing Wire Wheels
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:00:01 -0800
I've never owned or trued wire car wheels but the principle is the same as
bike wheels.  It should be a reasonably simple job to do at home if you have
a way of mounting the wheel on a stand that allows you to turn it while the
outside edge is very near a reference point.

Before you give it a try, get and read  "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.
Explains the theory and physics of spoked wheels in a way that makes clear
what needs to be done to produce a strong true wheel.   'Round' isn't a big
problem with car wheels sue to the high strength of the rim, so edge truing
and spoke tension are your only worries.   Lube the nipples with your
favorite poison, spin it with the edge of the rim next to a reference point
to adjust edge true, then bring all spokes up to tension evenly, keeping an
eye on the edge true.  "Ping" a spoke on a good wheel to check the sound it
makes.  Now bring all spokes up to that tension evenly as you work your way
around the wheel.  Tension=strength and durability.

With all the bike wheels I've built, I would be the one spridget driver who
doesn't have or want wire wheels.  I'd sure be willing to try truing a set
if I had them though.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye