got a new welder

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: got a new welder
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:53:28 -0800
A friend gave me a great deal on his Lincoln wire-welder when he upgraded
for 'mo' power to weld large corral pipes.  I've been out in the garage for
the last couple of nights welding everything to everything just to practice.

For the welders out there, a question:
Even at the lowest power setting it seems to be a bit 'hot' for the thin
sheet metal our cars are made of.  I'm using the .035 flux core wire with no
inert gas.  Is there a way to decrease the power?  Someone suggested a long
extension cord (of appropriate rating) would work like a ballast wire in an
ignition circuit.  My goal is to make a nice edge weld of two sheets of
18ga. without it becomming a jagged drippy mess.  I know practice is part of
it, but a bit less power would help I think.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)