Electro Cleaning Simplified

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electro Cleaning Simplified
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:28:27 -0500
ELECTROLYTIC CLEANING SIMPLIFIED

1. Plastic container filled with water. (I use 5 gal spackle buckets,
plastic garbage cans, and a childs plastic swimming pool.....anything that
will hold water and does NOT conduct elect. current will work).

2. 1 tablespoon of Arm&Hammer Washing Soda per gallon of water in the
container, Mix until desolved. (Washing Soda available at in the cleaning
isle next to laundry detergent at your favorite store)

Power source; 12v battery charger, 12v camper power supply, etc.  (I have
fused the (+) side on all my tanks with 1 amp inline automotive fuses)

3. Connect the neg wire to the part you wish to clean and completely
submerse in the solution. Make certain you have a good connection to the
rusted part. You may have to file a clean spot if the part is really rusty.

4. Connect the pos wire to a piece of scrap steel or iron bar (pipe, rebar,
etc) and immerse the bar (do not immerse the clamp to the power supply) into
the tank.  The clamp on the electrode will be desolved if you let it in the
solution.  (The clamp attached to the part that is being cleaned will not be
harmed so it can be immersed).

IMPORTANT;  DO NOT allow the electrode (Steel bar) and the part being
cleaned to touch each other. (You will burn out your power supply if it is
not fused).   The process only works if the parts are not touching each
other.

The process will produce bubbles when it is working.  I usually leave rusty
parts in the tank at least overnight, and sometimes for several days (even
weeks if I forget they are in there).  The process is self limiting and the
part will not rust in the solution as long as the current is left on.  Rust
turns black and will brush off VERY easily with a nylon or wire brush.

After cleaning, parts will rerust VERY fast in open air.  I brush them under
running water (dry them in the oven) and prime, or scrub them with Brillo as
soon as I remove them from the tank. The Brillo cleans the black residue
very well and protects them from rerusting for at least several days.

Please read the following;

http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/electrol.htm

Kevin V.