Update on my Miata saga

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on my Miata saga
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:13:26 -0800
Howdy fellow listers,

I've received a couple of emails asking what's happened since my posting
about getting the runaround about the order I placed for a Miata Special
Edition.  Well, here goes.

I tried several times to get a hold of the sales manager that made the
decision to raise the price agreed upon, after taking my deposit.  I
finally got a hold of him.  However, when I asked him if it would be ok
to tape our conversation, so there would be a record of our
conversation, he hung up immediately.  I never was able to get a hold of
him after that.

I then spoke with a lawyer, who wrote a letter on my behalf to the
dealership.  That was met with a wall of silence.  I called Mazda USA,
and filed a complaint.  However, all dealerships are independently owned
and operated, and Mazda does not intervene in the customer/dealership
sales process.  I also contacted the BBB in Fremont, CA and filed a
complaint.

I also exchanged emails with fellow listers David Riker and Steve McGee.
David contacted a fellow car salesman, and gave me an option to pursue a
Miata Special Edition from another dealership.  "Swift Justice" sent me
the forms to file a complaint with the California DMV.  I went to the
DMV investigative office in Hayward last week to file the complaint.

Just today, I had a letter in the mail from the Mazda dealership.  In it
was a check to refund my deposit, but nothing else.  So it looks like my
dealings with this particular dealership are done.  This did leave a bad
taste in my mouth, but maybe I ruffled enough regulatory trees to have
this place operate a little more ethically.

Oh well.  Soon enough I'll be moving over to Milan, Italy, so I guess I
can look at it as saving me a car transportation charge!

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA