Re: Starter Jamming

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Jamming
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 06:13:11 -0800
Cc: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
This same thing happened on my Bugeye a while back.  Gerard may remember because
he diagnosed the problem correctly back then also.  The starter would jam into
the ring gear and I had to carry a small wrench with me to back off the bendix
by
turning the square end of the starter shaft.  Turns out the starter needed to be
rebuilt.  I had replaced the bushings during the restoration, but apparently
this
was insufficient.  The shaft was actually slightly bent and the shaft bushings
were shot.  A local starter/generator/alternator rebuilder where no-one except
the guy behind the counter spoke English did an excellent job on it and I have
no
problems since.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite