Electrolytic rust removal

To: "shelden" <shelden3@pldi.net>
Subject: Electrolytic rust removal
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:17:28 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Washing soda is getting harder to come by in some areas.
The demand has dropped off that many of the stores no longer stock it.
They can order it for you if you speak to the grocery manager.
I got tired of chasing it, so I used lye.  (good old Red Devil lye).
This is sodium hydroxide or soda ash to people in the pool business.
It works fine but you have to play with the amount in your solution.
Fill up you dip tank, place anode and part in the tank and turn on the battery
charger.
Add a little lye ( I eventually used 1 cup for 40 gallons), stir the tank and
look at the meter on the charger
The amount of current flow depends on a few variables: The size of the anode,
the size of the part being de-rusted, the distance between the part and the
anode and the strength of the electrolyte

My tank is giving me between 3 and 8 amps depending on the size of the part

This reminds me, I dropped the brackets and u-bolts for the rear axle in there a
couple of days ago, they should be done by now.

THe best part is that the process is self limiting, it doesn't remove sound
metal the way that strong acids do.

Tommy
61 MGA Resto project
67 Sprite daily driver
69 Sprite - parting out to fund theMGa, plenty of goodies still available