Re: Chemical rust removal (muriatic acid)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chemical rust removal (muriatic acid)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:33:27 +0100
Just a little word of warning.  Although sure that all precautions are taken
by listers....

PHOSPHORIC ACID.  Good for derusting, bad for people.  Will not sting so
much on contact and splashes may be unnoticed but it will absorb through
flesh and attack the calcium in your bones.  There is NO reversal cure - an
extra pint of milk won't help.  Use it by all means, but follow the
instructions on the label and be protected.  It may be worth having a water
sprayer handy to clean off splashes asap.  Even though they don't hurt.

MURIATIC ACID is used commercially to clean and descale prior to soldering
etc and, according to my books, is a form of Hydrochloric Acid  (Not that it
makes any difference to you, if you soak your workbench, clothes and flesh
it will hurt one way or another!)  The comments regarding post working
finish are very valid and you are left with a naked vulnerable surface.

Sulphuric Acid is used in the manufacture of Phosphoric Acid.  Fumes from
any of them are not healthy, always work in a well ventilated area - not
upside down in the footwell with the stuff dripping onto your face and down
your arm.  Working with any of them in a warmer state will encourage a
faster reaction.

I've never tried Brillo pad finishing but it will be tried.  Always try to
put a layer of
paint/grease/oil on as soon as it has been done, washed and dried.
Always though it is bad planning to derust and then leave to go rusty again
:-).

HIH

Guy R Day