Dipstick Length for 948cc

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Dipstick Length for 948cc
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:49:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Guys and Gals,

Last night I did a complete oil and filter change on
the 948 Sprite motor in my Lotus Seven for the first
time. Over the past two summers I just kept topping up
as needed.

After putting only 3 quarts of oil back in, the
dipstick shows over the max fill mark (even after
running the motor. I scratched my head and tried the
other dipstick that came with a bunch of other Sprite
parts along with the car. This stick shows below the
min level!

The first dipstick has a flange which I imagine stops
it from hitting the bottom of the pan. This is the
stick that shows over max. level.

The second stick is plain and straight, and I'm
guessing is bottoming in the oil pan - no flange to
stop it short. This is the stick which reads below
min.

Last clue: there is no tube coming out of the block
where the dipstick goes in. The stick goes directly
into the hole in the bottom edge of the block.

Can I please hear about what types of dipsticks and
markings are out there on 948's? I shudder to think
that I've been running with too little oil!!

Thanks,
John Donohoe
http://games.yahoo.com/