Starter Motor Bendix

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g3PEg7i28810
Subject: Starter Motor Bendix
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:41:26 -0400
I think I may need to replace the pinion return spring on my starter
motor, as the pinion is a little reluctant to move back after the engine
starts, regardless of my having cleaned it as thoroughly as I could
without disassembling it (soaked it in petrol overnight - looks nice and
clean now!).  Here's my question:  How do I get this thing apart?  The
manual I have for my car shows a split pin holding the whole thing
together.  Mine has no such pin - nor is there a spring clip/nut or
anything that appears to be removable!

The car's a '66 and my guess is that the starter is not the original.

It works fine apart from this little problem.

Any ideas?

Phil