Felt for sliding sidecurtains

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Felt for sliding sidecurtains
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:39:35 EDT
Hi guys:

Just realized that I sent my response to Dave's question direct to him
instead of doing the right thing and putting it on the list.  Here's the
text, and sorry for the omission.

In a message dated 4/26/02 8:35:24 PM, lbc@littlebitcountry.com writes:

<< Does anyone have instructions or some method of installing new felt in the
side curtains of a bugeye? Or would I just be better off letting the windows
rattle? >>

They will probably still rattle to some extent, but it's easy and cheap to
put felt in.  I go to the fabric shop and buy 1/4 yd (9 inches) of 72 inch
wide black felt.  A 3/4 strip 72 inches long will do one window channel, as I
remember, so the felt will do the whole job plus a bunch of other projects.
As far as adhesives go, you want one that will not be water soluble.  I used
something called zap-a-gap in ours, which is a contact cement that adheres as
soon as something is pressed against it.  I used a toothpick to dot glue in
the channel, then folded the strip lengthwise and pushed it down into the
channel with a piece of scrap plexiglas or lexan from making the sliding side
windows.    The 3/4 inch strip shouldn't leave you any extra, but you can
trim it off later with a razor blade, if necessary.  Haven't been able to
find zap-a-gap recently, and I have to say that the last time I addressed
this job was a couple of years ago, so I apologize if I am forgetting
something.   Good luck.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)