A New Leak!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: A New Leak!
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 13:43:48 -0700
     I came home last night from work to a smell of gasoline in the
house.  I traced it to the Bugeye of course.  When I first restored the
car a little over a year ago, I had the tank coated by the Re-Nuzit guy
with a permanent plastic coating, inside and out.  It will last
forever.  One problem apparently, the coating must have gotten on the
tapered seat for the fuel line to the pump.  Besides having screwed up
threads, I never could get the fuel to stop leaking from around the fuel
line where it went into the fitting that screws into the tank.  After
much disfigurement of the fitting with a pair of Vise-Grips n the
fitting I just decided to got he easy route and slop some J&B Weld on
the fuel line where it enters the fitting.  I had to get it on the
road.  It held until last night.  It is again leaking where it was
"patched over".  I knew this day would come, just not this soon.  By
using the J&B Weld, I knew someday all I had to do was saw off the fuel
line at the fitting to remove the tank for repair.
     My question is, does anyone know what the thread is in the tank for
the fitting, so I can re-tap this for a new fitting?  What has any of
you used to connect this line to the tank?  A compression fitting?  The
last time, I cut it off the old line and drilled out the center to
re-sweat solder it onto the new line.  I don't think that solution will
work again.  I don't think I want to do any soldering on the fuel line
in the car either, but I have more fuel line and I can just bend a new
one.
     This also gives me the excuse I have been looking for to find out
why my gas gauge has never worked.  I used the original sender which
moved freely and even put an extra ground from the sender to the body.
The gauge reads empty sometimes and it reads a 1/4 tank other times and
even reads full sometimes, this is regardless of how much gas is in the
tank.  The fun begins.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite