Dizzy wear

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dizzy wear
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:03:15 -0700
Now that the distributor machine is working, I put on my old 23D that had a
worn bushing and used it to check out the machine.

Right away you can see the effect a worn bushing has on the firing pattern
of the dizzy.  The wobble of the shaft within the worn bushing caused a
variation of up to 2deg. around the correct firing point.
You can also check that the advance mechanism is working smoothly by
watching the advance increase with RPM.  The 23D maxed out its advance at
10deg, which would be 20 crank degrees.  I'm guessing that one of the
springs is too strong and one weight is not able to move and contribute its
share of total advance.

A 23D dizzy should give a total of 30crank degrees of advance correct? That
would be 15 degrees of dizzy advance?

This thing is bunches of fun, vacuum tubes glowing away in its guts, parts
spinning, strobe tubes flashing, knobs to turn, big degree wheel to play
with.  (insert Tim Taylor grunting)

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye