Re: Rear spring urethane??

To: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear spring urethane??
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 12:40:27 -0700
Hi Larry,

I'm not a real proponent of urethane bushings as it's a racing development that
has never crossed over very well to street use.  For racing, it doesn't matter
if
they wear out fast as the suspension gets rebuilt pretty regularly.  These were
development for Baja off road racing and they were nice for that as they would
last at least one race, whereas rubber wouldn't.  For street use they're shorter
lived than rubber as they don't have ANY twist in them and will rapidly wear
through from the smallest diameter pin going through them.  For an occasional
use
car they're fine, but for a daily driver, suspect.  Just because they cost more
doesn't mean they're any better!!!

Now for the spring pads, all flexible material there is pretty useless.
Tightening them up until they are paper thin is the way to go as far as I'm
concerned or simply replace them with a specially fabricated steel replacement
plate.  Then you never have torque steer again on a LBC.  Remember when that was
limited to early front drive cars!  LBC's had them ages before!

The original rubber was wonderful, the replacement rubber isn't.  Wonder why
they
can't come up with the correct formula?

This might start an angry thread of responses, but I've never had any long term
success with polyurethane or nylon, and I'm constantly trying them on my car as
they come out with  "new and improved."  Ya, shure, you betcha!  Wanna buy a
bridge?

Regards, Paul A