Re: Tire Pressure

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Pressure
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:39:33 +0100
Dave,

    To monitor the pressure you have to have the normal tyre valve pushed
and kept open by the monitor valve.  Thus the pressure seal provided by the
normal valve is lost.  It remains there for later use but the valve isn't
designed to have the closure spring compressed in an open position at all
times.
    I used to have neat hexagonal MG valve covers for my MGF but got fed up
of providing them to the local low life.  As soon as I returned to normal
valve covers they stopped being stolen.  Can you imagine how often you would
have to replace the pressure sensing ones?  Bear in mind the adverts says it
should only be fitted finger tight.  I used to screw the MGF ones on with a
wrench but it still didn't stop them going.
    Do you change tyre pressures for unladen and laden journeys?  If so, do
you have to change the monitor valve settings and play with them as well?

The idea sounds very good but I fear the practise may be different.

Guy R Day