MTBE and carb gaskets

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: MTBE and carb gaskets
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:24:14 -0700
Has anyone else had problems with carburettor parts dissolving in California
gasoline?
I've swapped the rubber floatbowl/carb-body gaskets on my H4 at least 6
times in the last 6 months.  These are the ones that seal the banjo bolt
that holds the float bowl to the carb body.  The seals become swollen and
then split.  Now I hear on the news last night that the Gov has extended the
use of MTBE until 2004.  Even at 50cents each, thats going to be a heck of a
lot of gaskets.  Has anyone found a source of gaskets that don't rot in
MTBE?

The ruined gaskets come out noticeably swollen compared to new ones, then
after a day or two return to normal size but are no longer soft like rubber.
I guess I could drive over to Nevada to fill up, but I'd be empty by the
time I got home.  Fun, but impractical.

Thanks,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye