Re: Magnetic sump plugs - long ...think about it :=_

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, Guy Weller <guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>, "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Magnetic sump plugs - long ...think about it :=_
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:47:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
 I do seem to agree with Paul after thinking about it.  In the past I
remember pulling apart failed engines, and compressor pumps, (as large
as 1000 HP) to find much metal embeded in the thickened oil in the
bottom of the sump.  Most of the causes of failure were usually do to
a failed oil and or cooling pump.  But of course I am compaing a 1275
cc spridget engine with an Ingersol Rand XL750 industrial air
compressor.  I used to climb inside of these monsters to clean out the
sump during servicing and rebuilds.  After all the job of the oil is
to keep the metal parts from grinding each other to pieces, and to
keep most impurities in suspension until the are removed from the
system by the filter or by cleaning.  Now if I were to sum it all up
it would be as I always have done which is to buy the best filtering
device for an engine.  Only to leave us as to the question of
filtering the metal and dirt fragments from our gear boxes.  How about
pumping the oil through the gear box and through a filter ?  I know it
is not really feasable to tight a##ed Spridgeteers, but is something
to think about.  Lon /RedMidget