Regular, Plus, or Premium Gas

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Regular, Plus, or Premium Gas
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:44:36 -0700 (PDT)
I've had Bugsy my 68 Sprite with a '66 1098 engine on
the road since late March. I never thought to ask
anyone what type of gas to put in and assumed that
this little old 1098 would run fine on regular. First
tank of gas in Bugsy was a tank of Premium to help
burn up the old gas that was in the tank initially.
Subsequent tanks of gas were regular. Over the past 2
-3 months Bugsy has been driven 2-300 miles around
town and as I have expounded to the list, had a
problem with dieseling. I changed plugs, retarded the
timing, noticed that I had a vacumn leak around the
throttle shaft of the front carb that I've attempted
to seal up. Problem resolved at least temporarily. In
general tried to get Bugsy to a better state of tune.
At the same time dieseling problem continues to go on
and on. Sometimes I have to resort to putting it in
4th gear and ease out the clutch in order to get it to
stop. Very annoying and embarassing to listen to the
engine run on and on.

Today on a whim, I filled Bugsy up with Premium and
added 1/2 can of lead substiture. Drove Bugsy 6-8
miles fairly hard down some country roads and pulled
into the driveway. Turned off the engine, it continued
to run for about two-three revolutions of the engine
and shut down. No sputtering, no run on, no dieseling.
Start up was a snap with no loaded up engine from
unburnt fuel. It can't be this easy can it. Simply
change to premium gas.

Engine definitely feels peppier. Will be curious to
see what a change in gas grade does to fuel mileage.
Right now Bugsy has been getting about 20 mpg but my
foot seems to be in it most of the time listening to
Bugsy run up in second gear listening to the glass
pack make really nice sounds.

That leads to another question. Could Bugsy now need
premium as a result of head being milled and
compression ratio being raised. No idea on this one
and P.O. can't supply an answer on this one either. Is
there any way to tell other than pulling engine apart
and measuring volume of the combustion chanbers?

Thanks again for your help.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com