Re: transmission oil change - best method?

To: Steven Michelsen <stevenm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: transmission oil change - best method?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:35:02 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Steven Michelsen wrote:
> I ought to inspect and/or change it's oil.
 >
> Any notions on the easiest / neatest way to get the task done?

   The 1500 oil filler is about halfway up the unit, on the
right side. (passenger side in north america). The drain is
at the bottom in the usual place, both are the usual square
head pipe plug.

   It's not too hard to fill cleanly with a few bits of cheap
equipment. You can by oil filling spouts at your local shop
that have a bit of tube on the end, you'll need 50cm of tubing
or so to make it easy. They are a buck or two, generally yellow
and black, and have a twist valve to shut off the oil flow
and sometimes a plug for the end.

   Basically these tubes screw onto the gear oil bottles, and
then you can defy gravity by squeezing the bottle, forcing the
oil up the tube and into the hole from below.

   It works fairly well, but you'll need an extra bottle or so
of gear oil because you can only squeeze oil out when the bottle
is nearly full. You can't squeeze the bottle hard enough to get
the last third out, so you can keep refilling the bottle from
the spare when it runs dry. (I think it takes about a litre, and another
half litre if you have overdrive ;>)

> BTW, I figure I will use 20/50 semi-synthetic, the same as the engine.

   I would recommend sticking with the factory recommendation of
gear oil. The older Midgets specified engine oil, but the 1500
was specified for gear oil.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca