transmission oil change - best method?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: transmission oil change - best method?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:28:01 -0400
So I figure that considering that there is an eternal drop of oil hanging off
the transmission drain plug on my 1500 Midget (but no stain on the garage
floor), I ought to inspect and/or change it's oil.  I have put only 800 miles
on the car thusfar and believe that it was done by the PO recently before that,
but I don't want to take a chance.  I have read that it is possible (and
easier) to add new oil by removing the shifter and pouring it in the hole that
is (presumably) revealed.  Is this correct for the 1500's transmission?   And,
if not there, where the heck IS that filler plug anyway?  I have looked at
various diagrams, then the trans, and, it's either hiding, or I am blind
(probably the latter).

Any notions on the easiest / neatest way to get the task done?  BTW, I figure I
will use 20/50 semi-synthetic, the same as the engine.

Also, if the answer is going through the shifter, is there anything to be aware
of when dismantling / reassembling it?

Thanks,
Steve
78 Midget