Re: Q -How to Make a Million Dollars Restoring Sprites

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Q -How to Make a Million Dollars Restoring Sprites
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:05:50 EDT
In a message dated 06/17/2002 9:46:17 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
DLancer7676@cs.com writes:

>  Wait a minute!  Someone bought this car for $22,000...and NOW it is for
> sale
> > for HALF that?

Just guessing, but some fool (like one of us) probably took a bugeye
somewhere between driver and basket case, and had them restore it.  It would
certainly be possible to spend $22,000.00 having a car dealer restore your
car for you.  Keep in mind that having some $60 per hour mechanic do the work
only insures that it will be done, not that it will be done to concurs
standards. (or however you spell the c word).

It would take a knowledgeable Spridgeteer overseeing the work quite closely
to make sure it was done to a Gold Level.

It looks like a nice "restoration" to me either way.

Now, after a while of driving the bugeye, the fellow decides to sell.  Well
guess what, there isn't a bid market for $22K bugeyes out there, even close
to gold ones.

A well restored driver like this one, I would expect to sell somewhere in the
neighborhood of half that.  In fact, the red bugeye Patricia bought, I
thought was a well turned out driver, and she paid a fourth of that or less.
Right Patricia?

Jay Fishocenti just bought a beautifully restored car for $.50 on the
restoration dollar, and I'm guessing it was because there are few people out
there that would pay for the total restoration costs of a professional
restorer out there.  That's why restorers do Dusenburgs, Buggatis and such.

Just my opinion.

Robert Houston

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Last words of General John
Sedgwick at the battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, US Civil War.