Heater valve fix

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Heater valve fix
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 21:22:09 -0400
Well the engine is back all clean bright and painted and what happens
but that stupid little heater valve starts to leak all over my new
paint. I replace it with another 30+ year old valve, and this one leaks
faster. Time to figure out what makes them tick....
After trying teflon tape, pipe dope, and even a faucet washer, it still
leaked. Upon closer inspection, I found a small "O" ring inside the
valve stem nut. Picked it out, stuck in a new "O" ring, and no more
leak. My heater valve has been oozing for about 10 years, had I known it
was just a 5 cent O ring, I would have rebuilt a 1/2 dozen of them.
Not sure of the exact O ring size, I have a small kit of O rings and one
worked.
Also if your valve leaks at the base, a simple garden hose washer will
fix it.

So right now, even though I am waiting for my recored radiator to be
finished, I have no leaks! No oil leak, no coolant leak, and no brake
fluid leak. I think this is a first in my 48 Spridgets owned. I bet it
doesn't last overnight.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ