It starts... and continues to run!!!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: It starts... and continues to run!!!
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:49:56 -0700
Thanks to a lot of advice and encouragement on the list, including many
personal emails, I met with some success today!

Quick background -
The 79 Midget I acquired had a Weber conversion installed.  I had to remove
it and replace it with the stock ZS so I could register and pass the CA smog
check.

After lots of learning curve, lots of cleaning and installation miscues, I
finished the last element last night.. rebuilding the ZS.  After double and
triple checking all the connections and tightness, I fired it up this
morning.  All systems go!!  It idled pretty high and I played with the
throttle connections a bit just to get it down.  Before the carb rebuild it
would start, run for a while and then after I shut it down, it wouldn't
start again for several hours.

Now it appears fine.  I finally got the courage to take it around the block,
then even more guts and took it about a mile around the neighborhood.  I
never REALLY got it going very fast before with the Weber, and I know speed
is relative to the small car, but it sure does move out!!  I kept squealing
the tires through 3rd gear because I'm not used to the short clutch throw.

Anyway, my goal was to get it running so I can get it down to a LBC repair
shop and let them fine tune it for the smog check and just put it in
generally better shape than I have it.

Again, thanks a million for all the little bits of knowledge you guys have
imparted to me.  Couldn't have done this myself!!

Bill
http://tubbs.cc/mg/